Friday, June 29, 2018

Strategy for building my portfolio

Hi all, I wanted to get in a quick update post before June finished, and I post the June dividend results. After looking at my portfolio, and building a nice set of stocks, I looked through, and realized that I own very few stocks with more than 1 share. I am diversified (granted, with a lot of REITs), but I do not have much holding in many companies.

So I put together a strategy of instead of building a lot of one off stocks, I will concentrate on building my portfolio to include at least 10 shares of each stock. As a secondary, I am also deciding that if my stocks are low dividend, I will try to get it to a $1 payout instead of 10 shares.

My first purchase to this end was 8 shares of GMRE, to bring it up to 10 shares. This should bring in $2 each quarter, so a cool $8 in forward dividends. I am also working on GLAD, which due to their $.07 per share a month payout, I will need to own at least 15 shares, to bring in $1.05 a month, which is $12.60 in forward dividends. I only own 6 shares in GLAD now, so I have some work to do.

I currently own 11 shares in ORC, so I will buy one more, since they decreased their dividend to $.09 per share a month. I also need 2 more shares of NAVI to bring it to 10 shares. The biggest companies I will have a hard time doing this for is D and AEP, as they are bigger companies and will cost a pretty penny to bring within my goal range. As I have stated when I started this blog, I am just a normal guy, so the money to bring about this goal will be a slow process. But I hope to keep pushing forward and reach FI.

P.S. I finally got my portfolio page up!


Thanks for reading,

New2Dividends

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 2nd Dividend Update

Hello all, and welcome back to another great month of dividend investing. In another round of huge moments for me, I made a new record high ...